Want to buy a Ledger Nano X? Buy it here!
English manual Ledger Nano X
Buy Ledger Nano X
Setting your Ledger Nano X
This guide will teach you how to set up your Ledger Nano X as a new device.
You will generate new private keys so you can manage your crypto assets. You will also need to write down a new 24-word recovery phrase that will act as the backup to your private keys.
You will need the following to start using your Ledger:
- Ledger Nano S, S plus or X
- Either an iOS 9 or Android 7 smartphone or a computer with Windows 8.1 (64-bit), macOS 10.10, or Linux
- The Ledger Live application downloaded and installed
Once you have installed Ledger Live, just open the app. It will tell you exactly what you need to do to get started.
Step 1. Set up as new device
- Press the button next to the USB port until the Ledger logo appears to turn on the device.
Please note: If you keep pressing the button, you will access the Bootloader menu. You have to Power Off the device and restart it.
- Read the on-screen instructions. Press the right button to proceed or the left button to go back.
- Press both simultaneously when “Set up as new device” is displayed.
Again, please note: Do not hold the buttons down. Just a quick click is sufficient.
Step 2. Choose your PIN code
- Press both buttons when “Choose PIN code” is displayed on the device.
- Press the left or right button to select a digit. Press both buttons to validate a digit.
- Select the checkmark to confirm your PIN code of 4 to 8 digits. Select the arrow with the cross in it to erase a digit.
- Enter the PIN code again to confirm it.
- Write down the PIN code you chose.
PIN code tips:
- Choose your own PIN code. This code unlocks your device.
- Use 8 digits for optimal security.
- Never use a device already supplied with a PIN code and/or a recovery phrase.
- Contact Ledger Support in case of doubt.
Step 3. Save your recovery phrase
Your 24-word recovery phrase will now be displayed word by word on the Ledger Nano X screen. Be careful, your recovery phrase will be displayed only once.
- Take the blank Recovery sheet supplied in the box.
- Press both buttons when “Write down your recovery phrase” is displayed.
- Write down word #1 on the Recovery sheet. Verify that you have copied it correctly in position 1. Press the right button to move to the next word.
- Repeat the process until Word #24 is written down in position 24. Press both buttons on the final screen to proceed.
- Press both buttons when “Confirm your recovery phrase” is shown.
- Select the first word that you've written down in position 1 on your Recovery sheet with the left or right button. Validate the word by pressing both buttons. Repeat this to confirm your entire 24-word recovery phrase.
- “Your device is ready” is shown once you've successfully completed the setup process. Press both buttons to “Access Dashboard.” You will then be directed to the Dashboard.
- Anyone with access to your recovery phrase could take your assets. Store it securely. Do not store your backup digitally in any way and do not make a picture of it. We recommend one of the following backup solutions.
- Test your backup before trusting a lot of funds to your wallet.
Read how to do this here.
- Ledger does not keep a backup of your 24 words. Ensure you are the only holder.
- Never use a device already supplied with a recovery phrase and/or a PIN code.
Contact Ledger Support in case of doubt.
Set up Ledger Live
Step 1: Open Ledger Live
You can manage your coins via Ledger Live, this is the official app from Ledger. You have already downloaded the app. Open the app to get started.
Press the button 'Get started'. Because the device has just been initialized, choose the option 'Use an initialized device'. Then choose the 'Ledger Nano X'.
Step 2: Security Check
Now you have to go through a security checklist. Fill in 'Yes' at the first two questions to confirm that you have created your PIN code and recovery seed yourself.
Next, do the genuine check. To perform this check, you must confirm this on your Ledger by pressing both buttons. The check may take a while. When it is finished you can proceed to the next step.
Step 3: Password
Now you have the possibility to come up with a password. The password prevents anyone on your computer from viewing your details such as your transaction history and public addresses.
Fill in the password twice and press 'Continue'. At the button Bugs & analytics you can indicate how Ledger may use your data, then click on 'Continue' and 'Open Ledger Live'.
Step 4: Firmware Update
You may not have the latest firmware on your device. If this is the case, a new version is available under the heading 'Manager' on the right, with a blue 'Update' button next to it. Press this button to install the new firmware. If there is nothing there, you have the latest firmware and you can skip this step.
In the pop-up screen you first press 'Continue', then you have to verify your device by clicking on the right button of your Ledger and entering your pincode.
Now remove the USB cable from your Ledger, keep the left button of the device pressed and reconnect the cable to the Ledger until you see 'Processing' on the screen.
When the update is finished all you have to do is press 'Close'.
Step 5: Installing Apps
If you want to put a coin on your Ledger you have to install the corresponding app. Search for the right coin and press the 'Install' button and the app will be installed automatically.
Press 'Close' when the process is over.
Step 6: Creating an Account
In the menu on the left, go to 'Accounts' and press 'Add accounts'. Select the crypto you want to put on your wallet and click 'Continue'. Navigate to the app on your device and press 'Continue' on your screen.
Ledger Live is now synchronising. This may take a while. Under the heading 'Add New Account' you will see that you can give your new account a name. Select the check mark and click 'Add account'. Your account has now been added.
Step 7: Retrieve recipient address
We use Bitcoin as an example for this step. If you want to send Bitcoins from an exchange or another wallet to your Ledger, you need an address to send them to. This is called a receiving address and can be created in Ledger Live.
In the left menu go to Receive. Select an account in the first step. In the second step, wait until Ledger Live connects to your Ledger, go to the Bitcoin app on your device and press 'Continue'. In the third step, press 'Continue'. Now you will see a QR code with your receiving address below it. Navigate to 'Approve' on your device and press both buttons. You can copy the code by pressing 'COPY' on the screen.
Send your Bitcoin to this address to keep it safe on your Ledger.